Step-by-Step New GST Registration Guide – Part I
It has been 2 months since we entered the GST era, and there are still many businesses across the country – both old and new, that are yet to figure how to register for GST. While the process is seamless due to its online nature, one needs to ensure that the requisite form, i.e. GST REG-01 is filled with the correct information, and the business owner has the correct documents by his side, in order to complete the GST new registration procedure in time.
In this blog, we have provided a step-by-step guide to obtain a new GST registration:
GST New Registration Procedure
- Log in to gst.gov.in
- Go to the Services tab, and take your cursor to Registration. Once you do that, 2 tabs will become visible New Registration & Track Application Status. Click on New Registration, and a form will open for New Registration, which is Part A of the registration process.
- Right at the top of the form, there will be two buttons – New Registration & Temporary Reference Number (TRN). Ensure that the New Registration button is selected. Once you do that, the first page of Part A will open up, where you need to fill up the following fields and click Proceed:
- I am a* (Options are Taxpayer and GST Practitioner. Select Taxpayer.)
- State / UT*
- District (Options will show once you select the State / UT, for e.g. if you select Karnataka as the State, then District will show options, such as Bengaluru Rural, Bengaluru Urban, Mysuru etc.)
- Legal Name of the Business (As mentioned in PAN)*
(Note: In case of proprietary company registration, here, you have to mention the name as mentioned in PAN. In a subsequent page named Business Details, you will be asked for Trade Name, wherein you can mention your business name.)
- Permanent Account Number (PAN)* (If you do not have a PAN, a link has been provided, which will take you to the Online PAN Application page of NSDL)
- Email Address* (OTP will be sent to this email address)
- Mobile Number* (a separate OTP will be sent to this number)
- Captcha Code* (type as provided)
- On the second page of Part A, fill in the two OTPs you received on your email ID & Mobile Number and click Proceed:
- Mobile OTP* (Valid for 10 minutes)
- Email OTP* (Valid for 10 minutes; if you cannot find the mail in your Inbox, please check your Spam folder)
- Once you verify the OTP, a notification screen, containing your 15 digit Temporary Reference Number (TRN) will appear. The same will be communicated to you via email and SMS. Using this TRN, you can access the application from My Saved Applications on the GST Portal. You will need to complete Part B of the application form within 15 days. Click Proceed.
- Once you click Proceed, you are again taken back to the New Registration form. Please note that the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) button is pre-selected. You may fill Part B right away, or come back to the portal and fill it later. On the first page of Part B, fill up the following fields and click Proceed:
- Temporary Reference Number (TRN)*
- On the second page of Part B, fill in the OTP you received on your email ID & Mobile Number, and click Proceed:
- Mobile / Email OTP* (Valid for 10 minutes. Every time you login, OTP verification needs to be done)
- Once you verify the OTP, a Dashboard will appear, containing your saved application/s, and the details, especially the Expiry Date, before which you need to complete filling the form. Please note, that the Status field will be mentioned as Draft, and under the Action field, there will be an edit tool available, which you can use to fill the rest of the GST REG-01 form.
- On clicking the edit tool, the remainder of the form will appear in front of you. On the top, a section in yellow will notify you about the Application Type, Due Date to Complete, Last Modified, and Profile Completion Percentage. Also, the various sections of the form will appear, each of which need to be filled, one by one:
- Business Details
- Promoter / Partners
- Authorized Signatory
- Authorized Representative
- Principal Place of Business
- Additional Places of Business
- Goods and Services
- Bank Accounts
- State Specific Information
Note: All mandatory fields have been marked with an asterisk (*).
As you can see, only 4% of your profile is completed! In our upcoming blogs, we will take you through the remaining 96% of the new GST registration process step-by-step; basically the 9 pages mentioned above and the final verification process, which will complete your GST new registration procedure and help you to understand how to register for GST as a new business.
Are you GST ready yet?
Get ready for GST with Tally.ERP 9 Release 6
7,199 total views, 1 views today