Creating Product Masters on the E-way Bill Portal
Update:At the 26th GST Council meeting, it has been decided to implement he inter-state e-way bill from 1st April, 2018. For intra-state movement, the e-way bill will be rolled out in a phased manner starting from 15th April, 2018, such that all states are covered by 1st June, 2018.
However, stay prepared with Tally.ERP 9 and manage your E-way bills easily. Know More
In our previous blogs on how to generate e-way bill, you would have come across certain parts, where you were required to feed in your product name, client name, supplier name or transporter name. If you recollect, we had mentioned each time, that if you have already created masters for that particular field, you need not enter the names fully, but rather feed in the first 2 to 3 characters, and select the desired name from a list which is shown. In short, the e-way bill portal gives you the option to seamlessly manage your products, clients, suppliers and transporters by creating product masters, client masters, supplier masters and transporter masters on the system, thus simplifying your data entry.
As discussed, as a business, you will mostly need to deal with 4 types of masters:
- Clients / Customers
All these masters can be set-up in the e-way bill portal. All one needs to do is:
- Log on to ewaybill.nic.in
- Enter your User Name and Password, then the Captcha Code, and then click “Login”, as shown in the picture below:
- On successful authentication of your credentials, the main menu of the e-way bill portal will open up. On the left hand side, click the option “Masters”, as shown below:
In this blog, we will understand how to create and manage product masters on e-way bill portal.
E-way Bill Product Masters
In order to set up product masters in the e-way bill portal, follow the steps listed below:
- Click on “Masters” as shown in above, and select the sub-option “Product”
- On doing so, the following screen will be displayed for creating product masters on the e-way bill portal:
- Fill in the Basic Details:
- Product Name
- Measurement Unit (Select from the drop-down menu)
- Fill in the HSN Details:
- HSN Code (In case you are not sure about the HSN code, the portal will allow you to select the HSN code from the “Search” option, and populate the HSN Name accordingly)
- HSN Name
- Fill in the Applicable Tax Rate Details:
- CESS Advol (This stands for Cess Non Ad Valorem. There are certain goods on which the GST Compensation Cess is a fixed amount as per quantity, rather than a percentage. The fixed value needs to be fed in here.)
- Once you have submitted your product details, the portal will validate the entered values. If there is an error, an appropriate error message will pop-up. If all is well, the portal will save the product master under e-way bill. You can then repeat the same procedure for all your other products.
There may be scenarios where the same product could have multiple units of measurement, and even multiple rates of tax (for instance footwear priced below INR 500 are rated at 5% GST, and footwear priced above INR 500 are rated at 18% GST). In this case, you can make multiple entries for the same product, at the same time providing the product name in such a way which is easy for you to understand and remember.
Are you GST ready yet?
Get ready for GST with Tally.ERP 9 Release 6
87,228 total views, 60 views today
Author: Pramit Pratim GhoshPramit, who has been with Tally since May 2012, is an integral part of the digital content team. As a member of Tally’s GST centre of excellence, he has written blogs on GST law, impact and opinions - for customer, tax practitioner and student audiences, as well as on generic themes such as - automation, accounting, inventory, business efficiency - for business owners.
Pramit Pratim Ghosh
Subscribe to our newsletter
- 38th GST Council Meeting: Updates and Highlights
- How Automation of Sales and Purchase Register Has Helped Businesses
- Ratio Analysis: How it Helps Determine A Company’s Financial Health
- Stock Summary Report & its Advantages
- How Re-order Level of Stock Helps Keep Your Company’s Financial Health Stable
- For Business Owners (32)
- For Tax Practitioners (6)
- GST: All you need to know (328)
- MSME Zone (14)
- Opinions (26)
- Uncategorized (1)