E-Way Bill Registration for Registered Businesses
Update: At the 26th GST Council meeting, it has been decided to implement he inter-state e-way bill from 1st April, 2018. For intra-state movement, the e-way bill will be rolled out in a phased manner starting from 15th April, 2018, such that all states are covered by 1st June, 2018.
Stay prepared with Tally.ERP 9 and manage your E-way bills easily. Know More
In our previous blogs, we have taken you through the various aspects of the e-way bill, right from the time, it was first introduced in the GST Act, till the final notifications were released about a month back. As you read this blog, the Government has opened up the official GST e-way bill portal to allow trial e-way bill registration, and the 1st day has seen as many as 21000 registrations. It can be said thus, that the path has been laid down for a smooth launch of e-way bill from the 1st of February, 2018.
While the government will surely attempt to simplify the e-way bill experience as much as possible, the fact remains that unregistered transporters who would potentially have had little to no interactions with online systems, will have some difficulty in navigating the e-way bill portal. However, for the greater good of tax transparency and hassle free movement of goods across the country, this difficulty will need to be overcome. In our next series of blogs, we will be happy to guide you with the step-by-step process for e-way bill registration on the e-way bill portal and subsequently how to generate e-way bills on the E-way bill portal.
Registering on the e-way bill portal
There are primarily 4 stakeholders who are involved in the process of a typical e-way bill – suppliers, recipients, transporters and tax officers. The suppliers, recipients and transporters would want to see that the consignment is moving from the source to the destination without any hurdles, while the tax officers would want to see that the consignment is accounted for by both suppliers and recipients.
Focusing on the business end of the e-way bill, it is important for both registered businesses (suppliers and recipients) as well as transporters to have access to the e-way bill portal, and start by obtaining an e-way bill system registration. Considering that quite a significant number of transporters may be small operators, and thus may not be registered under GST, the portal allows a smooth e-way bill registration for both registered as well as unregistered entities under GST.
E-way bill registration for registered businesses
- Keep your GSTIN and Mobile No. registered with the GST portal ready with you
- Log on to ewaybill.nic.in. The following screen will emerge:
- Click on “e-Way Bill Registration”, as shown in the picture above. On doing so, the following registration form will appear:
- Enter your GSTIN number and click “Go”
- Once your request is submitted, you will be redirected to the following page:
- In the above form, “Applicant Name”, “Trade Name”, “Address” and “Mobile Number” will be auto-populated. You need to click on “Send OTP”, in order to get the OTP on your registered mobile number. Once you receive the OTP on your registered mobile number, you need to enter the OTP on the system. Once that is done, you will need to click on “Verify OTP”, post which your OTP will be validated, and all your details will be verified on the e-way bill portal.
- Next, you need to provide a User ID or User Name of your choice, with which you plan to operate your newly created account on the e-way bill portal. Please note, that the username should be about 8 to 15 alphanumeric characters and can include special characters as well. Once a request for the same is submitted, the e-way bill portal will validate whether the given User ID or User Name exists or not.
- Once the User ID or User Name is approved by the e-way bill portal, you will need to provide a Password of your choice. Please note, that the password will need to have a minimum of 8 characters, which could be alphanumeric and could also include special characters. However, you need to be careful as the Password will be case-sensitive.
- Once both User ID / User Name and Password are validated and approved, the final registration request is submitted. If there is any error, the system will pop up the appropriate error message. Else, if all is fine, the User ID / User Name along with the Password is created and registered with the e-way bill portal. You can now use this registered User ID / User Name and Password to navigate through the e-way bill portal.
Hope we have been able to show you the right path to register for e-way bill. In our next blog, we will discuss about how unregistered taxpayers, primarily small transporters can obtain e-way bill registration on the e-way bill portal.
Are you GST ready yet?
Get ready for GST with Tally.ERP 9 Release 6
108,939 total views, 43 views today
Author: Pramit Pratim GhoshPramit, who has been with Tally since May 2012, is an integral part of the digital content team. As a member of Tally’s GST centre of excellence, he has written blogs on GST law, impact and opinions - for customer, tax practitioner and student audiences, as well as on generic themes such as - automation, accounting, inventory, business efficiency - for business owners.
Pramit Pratim Ghosh
Comments are closed.
Subscribe to our newsletter
- 38th GST Council Meeting: Updates and Highlights
- How Automation of Sales and Purchase Register Has Helped Businesses
- Ratio Analysis: How it Helps Determine A Company’s Financial Health
- Stock Summary Report & its Advantages
- How Re-order Level of Stock Helps Keep Your Company’s Financial Health Stable
- For Business Owners (32)
- For Tax Practitioners (6)
- GST: All you need to know (328)
- MSME Zone (14)
- Opinions (26)
- Uncategorized (1)