(English) Bulk E-way Bill Generation on the E-way Bill Portal
Sorry, this post is not available in Gujarati For the sake of viewer convenience, the content is shown below in this site default language. You may click one of the links to switch the site language to another available language.
Update: At the 26th GST Council meeting, it has been decided to implement he inter-state e-way bill from 1st April, 2018. For intra-state movement, the e-way bill will be rolled out in a phased manner starting from 15th April, 2018, such that all states are covered by 1st June, 2018.
However, stay prepared with Tally.ERP 9 and manage your E-way bills easily. Know More
In our previous blog, we showed you how you can generate your very first e-way bill from the e-way bill portal. As you read this, a lot of States did use the portal on a trial basis, and the e-way bill portal saw over 2,00,000 e-way bills being generated on a daily basis.
The number is surely not surprising, as chances are you will face many a situation, where you will be required to do bulk e-way bill generation, rather than on a singular basis. In this blog, we will show you how you can save time, and ramp up your speed of doing business by generating bulk e-way bills on the e-way bill portal.
Generating bulk E-way Bills on the E-way Bill Portal
- Log on to ewaybill.nic.in
- Enter your User Name and Password, then the Captcha Code, and then click “Login”, as shown in the picture below:
- On successful authentication of your credentials, the main menu of the e-way bill portal will open up as shown below:
- On the left hand side of the main menu of the e-way bill portal, click the option “E-way Bill”
- Click the sub-option “Generate Bulk”
- On doing so, you will see the following screen:
- Click “Choose File” to browse for the JSON file containing the details to be included in your e-way bills, and then click “Upload & Generate”
- On doing so, the portal will process your request. If there is an error, it will show up on the “Error Description” field. If all is in order, you will be able to generate bulk e-way bill, as shown below:
Now, you must be wondering, where do we get the JSON file from? What exactly is it and how to generate it? Let’s understand a little further.
Obtaining JSON file for bulk E-way Bill generation
As already explained above, e way bill bulk upload is an effective method of saving a lot of time. The process as such, requires you to upload one file, in the JSON format, containing multiple requests for e-way bill, at one shot on the e-way bill portal. The system will then generate e-way bills, for each request you have provided, one-by-one and show the result in a table. You can then extract the details from the table into your own system for your reference and further action.
Now, the JSON file which you need to upload, can be created in 2 ways:
- Using E-way Bill JSON Format File
- Using E-way Bill JSON Preparation Tool
Both the E-way Bill JSON Format File and the E-way Bill JSON Preparation Tool, are available for download from the e-way bill portal, as shown below:
- Log on to ewaybill.nic.in
- Click on the “How To Use” tab
- Click on “Tools”
- Click on “Bulk Generation Tools”
- Once you do that, you will see the following page opening, which includes a host of bulk generation of EWB attributes & tools:
Using E-way Bill JSON format file
If you are someone who is comfortable with working on JSON files, you may go for this option for bulk e-way bill generation.
- In the page shown above, click “E-waybill JSON Format”
- Once you do this, a webpage will open up. You need to right-click, choose “Save As”, and save the file on your system. The file will get downloaded on your system as a JSON file.
- In the page shown above, click “E-waybill Attributes”. An excel sheet will be downloaded, which will include the e-way bill JSON format, parameters, master codes and error codes, which will help you fill the JSON file with the right details of your request.
- While a single JSON file with multiple requests are allowed, it is recommended that you prepare the JSON file with around 500 requests to avoid uploading challenges.
- Finally, validate all the parameters of your request, as per the format, codes and interlinked values before preparing your final JSON file, which you can then upload as discussed above.
Using E-way Bill JSON preparation tool
If you are more comfortable working with excel sheets, you may go for this option of bulk EWB converter tool, which has been provided on the e-way bill portal, primarily due to the demand of tax payers wanting an alternative mechanism.
- In the page shown above, click “E-waybill JSON Preparation”
- Once you do this, an excel sheet will be downloaded, which will include a welcome note, an e-way bill format, master codes, a sample e-way bill and FAQs.
- In the 2nd sheet named “e-way bill”, you can fill in the details of your request, and once you are done, you can click “Validate”. Once the validation is done, you can then click “Prepare JSON”, and obtain your JSON file, which you can then upload as discussed above.
Needless to say, the second option gives you a greater ease of verifying what you have keyed in, and thus you may prefer using the JSON Preparation Tool, for bulk e-way bill generation, compared to working on the JSON Format File. Having said that, either methods are fairly effective enough to allow you to generate your bulk e-way bills in quick time.
Are you GST ready yet?
Get ready for GST with Tally.ERP 9 Release 6
108,504 total views, 8 views today
Author: Pramit Pratim GhoshPramit, who has been with Tally since May 2012, is an integral part of the digital content team. As a member of Tally’s GST centre of excellence, he has written blogs on GST law, impact and opinions - for customer, tax practitioner and student audiences, as well as on generic themes such as - automation, accounting, inventory, business efficiency - for business owners.
Pramit Pratim Ghosh
Subscribe to our newsletter
Latest on GST
- GST Billing (12)
- GST Compliance (9)
- E-Commerce under GST (7)
- GST E-way Bill (34)
- GST Fundamentals (57)
- Input Tax Credit (16)
- GST Procedures (21)
- GST Rates (10)
- GST Registration (25)
- GST Returns (48)
- GST Sectorial Impact (15)
- GST Software Updates (26)
- GST Transition (21)
- GST Updates (31)
- Opinions (26)
- Uncategorized (1)